Australia is one of the top leading countries for international student to study because out top 100 universities of world seven fall in Australia. Australia is one of the leading powerhouses in education with world’s best educator’s and facilitator’s with wide variety of study options.

Who needs a student visa?

The Student visa is for those students who are willing to study in full time or part time course in Australia and trying to apply for first student visa, renew your student visa, and apply to join a family member who is in Australia on a student visa.
To get a student visa?

First you need to find the school that suits you. Just in Tokyo, there are more than 160 language schools where you may apply for a student visa and if you consider also other cities like Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya etc… choosing the right school can be very hard.

To be able to enroll in a Japanese language school, university or higher education institution, you must apply for a student visa. The person who will apply for a student visa, must provide the Japanese consulate in his/her country with the following documentation:

  • A valid passport
  • Passport-size picture
  • Certificate of Eligibility

How can I get the certificate of eligibility?

We are proud to say that the students whom have applied to a Japanese language school with Trailmaker have successfully received a certificate of eligibility from Japanese Immigration.

Document Explanation
Application form The application form requires the student to fill some personal data like name, surname, telephone, address etc…
Photo Sending a digital photo by e-mail will be fine. It has to be a clear picture of your face, like the one you would use for your passport.
Passport Copy A copy of the page with your name and your photo, plus all the pages reporting your previous entries into Japan.
Oath of Expenses (if you need a financial guarantor) Usually is not required, but if you are young (ad example 18 or 19 years old) and you don’t have a job yet, you may need to provide a document where a member of your family or another person, will guarantee that he/she will support you financially during your stay in Japan as a language student.

When should I apply?

The study semester in Japan starts four times a year: January, April, July and October. The application needs to be submitted around 4 months before the desired semester start in order to receive a visa from the Japanese immigration office. For example:

Student visa starts Application deadline
January 2011 15 September 2010
April 2011 18 November 2010
July 2011 15 March 2011
October 2011 13 May 2011

How long can I study with a student visa?

You can study for up to two years on a student visa. However you don’t have to spend those 2 years coming to Japan only once. If, for example, you go back to Japan after 1 year of studying Japanese, you will still be able to re-apply in the future for the remaining year. However, if you study for 1 year and leave Japan, you will not be eligible for another pre-college visa.

Can I work with a student visa?

During your stay you can work at a part-time job in Japan for up to 28 hours a week. Many students use these jobs to help offset the cost of living in Japan. Students are also allowed to travel in and out of the country without having to reapply for a visa each time, but are required to apply for a re-entry permit.

SSVF Briefing

What are the key changes?

  • Tow new student visas:
    Subclass 500 – Student Visa
    Subclass 590 – Student Guardian Visas
  • New Combined country and provider immigration risk framework
  • Mandatory online lodgement
  • Simplification of some policy settings

Why are we making these changes?

  • Simplification of the student visa framework
  • Reduction in red-tape
  • Creation of a level playing field
  • A more targeted approach to immigration integrity

A simplified student visa framework
Single student visa subclass(subclass 500)

  • Client service tool – country and provider risk model
  • Streamlined evidentiary requirement
    (Documentary evidence of English and financial capacity generally required)
  • Regular evidentiary requirements
    (Documentary evidence of English and financial capacity generally required)
  • Core student visa requirements
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant
  • Enrollment
  • Health and Character
  • Welfare arrangements (where applicable)
  • Overseas Health Insurance

The online client service tool

  • Country of passport
  • Education Provider
  • or CRICOS Code
  • I am one of the following
    1. Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) sponsored student.
    2. Department of Defense Sponsored Student
    3. Secondary exchange student
    4. Returning student for PHD Thesis Marking
    5. All other students

Lodging a valid application

  • Key requirements
    1. Form and fee
    2. Online lodgement
    3. Evidence of Enrollment
    4. Evidence of welfare arrangements(under 18s)
    5. Pr-requisite visas and unlawful applicants(onshore only)

What’s staying the same?

  • The Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
  • Health and character
  • Most visa conditions
  • Overseas health insurance
  • Packaging arrangements

What no longer exists?

  • SVP and AL Framework
  • Academic requirements
  • “Exceptional circumstances” if lodging onshore
  • Maximum ELICOS Limits
  • Mandatory ‘no further stay’ for shorter courses

The Financial requirement

  • Further evidence only required for ‘regular’ students
  • There options to meet financial requirement
    1. 12 months evidence of living, tuition, travel and study cost.
    2. Annual Income
    3. AASES
  • Funds must be genuinely available

Option-12 months living, tuition, travel and study funds

  • Funds can be provided in the form of money deposit, loan or sponsorship
  • Amount of living cost and school funds (for school age dependents) specified in the instrument
  • Funds to be shown for the entire accompany family unit

Option-Annual Income

  • Only applicable to annual income of the student’s partner or spouse
  • Annual income must be $60k for single student of $70k if family members are included
  • Evidence must be provided in form of official government documentation

The Genuine access requirement

  • Funds must be genuinely available to support student while in Australia
  • Department may consider factors including:
    1. Relationship of sponsor
    2. Income, assets and employment of sponsor
    3. Previous visa history

English Language requirement

  • Documentary evidence only required for ‘regular’ students
  • Two options to meet English requirement
    1. Evidence of acceptable test score
    2. exception category

Option-Evidence of Acceptable test score

English Language test provider Minimum test score Minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS Minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS
ILETS 5.5 5 4.5
TOFEL(paper based) 527 500 450
TOFEL(internet based test) 46 35 32
Cambridge English 162 154 147
Pearson 42 36 20
Occupational English Test PASS

Option-Exemption category

  • Nationals of certain countries
  • Foreign Affairs and Defense students
  • ELICOS, Schools, Secondary Exchange and Post-graduate research students
  • Study of more than five years in English in certain countries
  • Completion of study in Australia in the two years prior to application

School sector provisions

  • Age limits
  • Primary school
    1. GTE
    2. Grant periods

Changing courses

  • Student must remain enrolled in a course at the same or higher AQF level for which the visa has been granted (unless changing AQF 10 to AQF 9)
  • Implemented through visa condition 8202

Family Members

  • Mandatory declaration of family members
  • Eligibility to include family members for shorter courses
  • Financial requirements

Summary of key student Guardian changes

  • Country and provider risk model does not apply to student guardian visa
  • All student Guardian applications must provide evidence of funds
  • No subsequent dependents permitted

Ensuring a smooth transition

  • Semester 2 commencements
  • Interim web tool
  • Processing times

Other Destinations