Who needs a student visa?

All the students that are willing to study full time (4 hours a day, 5 days a week) Japanese in Japan, for more than 3 months.

To get a student visa?

First you need to find the school that suits you. Just in Tokyo, there are more than 160 language schools where you may apply for a student visa and if you consider also other cities like Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya etc… choosing the right school can be very hard.

To be able to enroll in a Japanese language school, university or higher education institution, you must apply for a student visa. The person who will apply for a student visa, must provide the Japanese consulate in his/her country with the following documentation:

How can I get the certificate of eligibility?

We are proud to say that the students whom have applied to a Japanese language school with Trailmaker have successfully received a certificate of eligibility from Japanese Immigration.

Document Explanation
Application form The application form requires the student to fill some personal data like name, surname, telephone, address etc…
Photo Sending a digital photo by e-mail will be fine. It has to be a clear picture of your face, like the one you would use for your passport.
Passport Copy A copy of the page with your name and your photo, plus all the pages reporting your previous entries into Japan.
Oath of Expenses (if you need a financial guarantor) Usually is not required, but if you are young (ad example 18 or 19 years old) and you don’t have a job yet, you may need to provide a document where a member of your family or another person, will guarantee that he/she will support you financially during your stay in Japan as a language student.

When should I apply?

The study semester in Japan starts four times a year: January, April, July and October. The application needs to be submitted around 4 months before the desired semester start in order to receive a visa from the Japanese immigration office. For example:

Student visa starts Application deadline
January 2011 15 September 2010
April 2011 18 November 2010
July 2011 15 March 2011
October 2011 13 May 2011

How long can I study with a student visa?

You can study for up to two years on a student visa. However you don’t have to spend those 2 years coming to Japan only once. If, for example, you go back to Japan after 1 year of studying Japanese, you will still be able to re-apply in the future for the remaining year. However, if you study for 1 year and leave Japan, you will not be eligible for another pre-college visa.

Can I work with a student visa?

During your stay you can work at a part-time job in Japan for up to 28 hours a week. Many students use these jobs to help offset the cost of living in Japan. Students are also allowed to travel in and out of the country without having to reapply for a visa each time, but are required to apply for a re-entry permit.




Permanent residence Questions & Answers

How long will it take to process my migration application?

Who can we include in a migration application?

  • Details on who can be included in a migration application are provided in each assessment provided by ASA.

Can I visit Australia while my migration application is being processed?

  • Yes. But……You will need to meet the requirements for that class of visa, which may include the requirement that you only intend a holiday or short visit. Visitors visas are not intended to provide residence in Australia for migration applicants awaiting the outcome of their application…and you must inform us if you are temporarily in Australia as DIAC can continue your processing whilst you are there.

Can I be granted my migrant visa while I am in Australia ?

  • No. You must be outside Australia before DIAC can grant you the migrant visa. You must depart Australia for your visa to be granted and evidenced in your passport. You do not need to return to the country where the application was lodged as this can be done at any Australian overseas mission.

Can I do my medical processing in Australia ?

  • Yes. If you are in Australia temporarily you can approach an office of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs to collect the medical forms (Form 26 and Form 160) and details on approved doctors and radiologists. You should sent your sealed medical results, marked with your file reference, to teh HSA or to DIAC directly when completed.

Do I have to send original documents with my application?

  • Yes. Generally for permanent migration applications original documentation is required, or properly certified copies.

Do I have to lodge my passport with my application?

  • Passports are NOT required to make a valid application. However, for all temporary residence visa applications (except Retirement visa applications) you should provide your passport with 2 unused visa pages with your application. If you think that you will need your passport during this time, DO NOT send it with your application. DIAC deals with a large number of visa applications and can not guarantee that they will be able to return your passport to you when you need it.

I am applying under the partner provisions do you need to interview me and my partner/sponsor?

  • In most cases DIAC may need to interview you, but this will usually be over the telephone. We will contact you if we need to arrange an interview.

Does my sponsor (ie spouse or partner) have to remain in the country of residence during processing?

  • No.

If I am approved, how long do I have before I must travel to Australia ?

  • The initial entry date (stated on your visa) is the date by which you must travel to Australia on your visa. This date is calculated based on the validity of your health and character clearances. These clearances are usually only valid for 12 months. If you (and any members of your family included in your application) do not enter Australia by the initial entry date, you will breached a condition of your visa and consideration will be given to cancelling your visa.

I know I need to travel to Australia before the initial entry date on my visa but am I required to migrate to Australia before this date as I have a home to sell and/or other assets to dispose of?

  • You must travel to Australia before the expiry of the initial entry date in order to activate the visa for its full term which, in most cases, is a full term of five years (the date is on the visa label. Migrant visa holders are not required to migrate (ie settle permanently) to Australia before the expiry of the initial entry date on their visas.Provided you (and all family members included in your application) have made at least one trip to Australia before the initial entry date your visa is then valid for return travel until the final expiry date. There are exceptions to this general rule. For example, Spouse – Provisional visas (subclass 309) and Prospective Spouse visas (subclass 300) both have initial entry dates but neither is valid for a full term of five years. Business skills visas also have certain conditions attached to them – contact ASA for further details.


Other Destinations